On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Mike Christie <micha...@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Ulrich Windl wrote:
>> On 19 Nov 2009 at 11:07, Erez Zilber wrote:

>>> It's in userspace, so (almost) everything is possible. It's nice to
>>> have counters, average delay etc, but I want to be able to know
>>> exactly when bad things almost happened (i.e. timeout almost expired).
>>> Counters/average delay will not help me.
>>
>> I thought you want to tune the timeouts. So if properly tuned, the kernel
>> will log
>> when when your measurements are unusual (i.e. timeout exceeded).
>>

> I think that is what I wanted. I think Erez wants something a little
> different, right Erez?

I think that it would be nice if we had both:
1. The average delay of a ping request.
2. A list of ping requests that almost timed out with some helpful
info (when was the ping sent and how much time until we got a
response). With this information, you can understand and debug the
whole system: you can check your target and see what caused it to be
so slow on that specific time, you can see if your network was very
busy during that time etc.

Erez