On 24 Nov 2009 at 13:20, guy keren wrote:

[...]
> by the way - if the system is set to generate core files for daemons,
> then at least in theory it is possible to write some gdb macros that
> will extract the non-flushed part of the logs from the core file -
> assuming the shared-memory segment is still available. i need to check
> if it's possible to make gdb re-attach to that segment while handling
> the core file (generally this is not possible since you cannot run
> function without attaching to a running process. however - there's a
> project that allows re-creating a process around a core file - and
> perhaps using that project this will become possible).
>

>From my eperience, it's much easier for users to find the last lines in a log
file, rather than find a core dump file. Not to talk about corelating the core
file with a program plus doing something useful with it.

I a program I wrote years ago I did this: The log handler did flush the log
whenever an error or more important had been output; it did not flush the log
for
debug messages or similar (I had fatal errors, errors, warnings, informational
messages, and debug messages). Assuming that the program will crash only after
some problem had been detected, this might help.

Regards,
Ulrich