Ulrich Windl wrote:
> On 24 Nov 2009 at 13:20, guy keren wrote:
>
> [...]
>> by the way - if the system is set to generate core files for daemons,
>> then at least in theory it is possible to write some gdb macros that
>> will extract the non-flushed part of the logs from the core file -
>> assuming the shared-memory segment is still available. i need to check
>> if it's possible to make gdb re-attach to that segment while handling
>> the core file (generally this is not possible since you cannot run
>> function without attaching to a running process. however - there's a
>> project that allows re-creating a process around a core file - and
>> perhaps using that project this will become possible).
>>

> From my eperience, it's much easier for users to find the last lines in a log
> file, rather than find a core dump file. Not to talk about corelating the
> core
> file with a program plus doing something useful with it.
>
> I a program I wrote years ago I did this: The log handler did flush the log
> whenever an error or more important had been output; it did not flush the log
> for
> debug messages or similar (I had fatal errors, errors, warnings,
> informational
> messages, and debug messages). Assuming that the program will crash only
> after
> some problem had been detected, this might help.
>
> Regards,
> Ulrich

and then you risk that the program will not be able to terminate in
specific corruption cases. so the question is - what is deemed more
important - that the program will terminate in case of a SIGSEGV, or
that it'll emit the remains of the logs for the price of a (small?)
chance of getting stuck during this attempt.

i don't really know what is the "right" answer.

--guy