I'd like to make some changes in the logging in open-iscsi. The
current status is as follows:

kernel modules:

* We use iscsi_cls_session_printk & iscsi_cls_conn_printk in
scsi_transport_iscsi.c. They are sometimes wrapped by macros (e.g.
ISCSI_DBG_TRANS_SESSION). These macros use KERN_INFO and are
controlled by module parameters.

* We use iscsi_session_printk & iscsi_conn_printk for the rest of the
kernel code.These macros wrap iscsi_cls_session_printk &
iscsi_cls_conn_printk accordingly. They are sometimes wrapped by
macros (e.g. ISCSI_SW_TCP_DBG). These macros use KERN_INFO and are
controlled by module parameters.

* We sometimes use printk calls.

userspace:

We use log_warning, log_error & log_debug. They depend on the logging
level that we use (0-8). if (log_level > level), the log is sent to
syslog with the appropriate log level (LOG_WARNING/LOG_ERR/LOG_DEBUG).

My motivation: with the current logging mechanism, if an error occurs,
I'm unable to tell exactly what happened. The default logging level is
too low. Increasing it affects performance. Another problem is that
open-iscsi has too many logging mechanisms.

I suggest that:
1. For kernel modules, we will have 'events' (or any better name that
you suggest) like 'session', 'conn', 'eh', 'cmd' etc. For each event,
we will have a logging level. For example, the user may want to set
the 'conn' event to 'DEBUG'. It means that we will print all conn
related logs that are DEBUG and above (e.g. WARNING, ERROR).
2. For userspace code, we could do the same (i.e. have events and a
log level per event).
3. Userspace logging uses the 'daemon' facility. This should
definitely be the default, but we should allow the user to use another
facility. The motivation for doing so is that if we want to send all
iscsid logs to a separate file, we can set it to 'local2' for example
(instead of 'daemon').

Comments?

Thanks,
Erez