On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Ulrich Windl
<ulrich.wi...@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:
> On 2 Dec 2009 at 10:55, Erez Zilber wrote:
>
>> I'd like to make some changes in the logging in open-iscsi. The
>> current status is as follows:
>>
>> kernel modules:
>>
>> * We use iscsi_cls_session_printk & iscsi_cls_conn_printk in
>> scsi_transport_iscsi.c. They are sometimes wrapped by macros (e.g.
>> ISCSI_DBG_TRANS_SESSION). These macros use KERN_INFO and are
>> controlled by module parameters.
>>
>> * We use iscsi_session_printk & iscsi_conn_printk for the rest of the
>> kernel code.These macros wrap iscsi_cls_session_printk &
>> iscsi_cls_conn_printk accordingly. They are sometimes wrapped by
>> macros (e.g. ISCSI_SW_TCP_DBG). These macros use KERN_INFO and are
>> controlled by module parameters.
>>
>> * We sometimes use printk calls.
>>
>> userspace:
>>
>> We use log_warning, log_error & log_debug. They depend on the logging
>> level that we use (0-8). if (log_level > level), the log is sent to
>> syslog with the appropriate log level (LOG_WARNING/LOG_ERR/LOG_DEBUG).
>>
>> My motivation: with the current logging mechanism, if an error occurs,
>> I'm unable to tell exactly what happened. The default logging level is
>> too low. Increasing it affects performance. Another problem is that
>> open-iscsi has too many logging mechanisms.
>>
>> I suggest that:
>> 1. For kernel modules, we will have 'events' (or any better name that
>
> I'd call them "contexts" or "event sources".
>
>> you suggest) like 'session', 'conn', 'eh', 'cmd' etc. For each event,
>> we will have a logging level. For example, the user may want to set
>> the 'conn' event to 'DEBUG'. It means that we will print all conn
>> related logs that are DEBUG and above (e.g. WARNING, ERROR).
>> 2. For userspace code, we could do the same (i.e. have events and a
>> log level per event).
>> 3. Userspace logging uses the 'daemon' facility. This should
>> definitely be the default, but we should allow the user to use another
>> facility. The motivation for doing so is that if we want to send all
>> iscsid logs to a separate file, we can set it to 'local2' for example
>> (instead of 'daemon').
>>
>> Comments?
>
> What I'd wish: For most messages, especially if informational messages are
> enabled, it's not clear what type of severity a message has (i.e. debug, info,
> warning, error, fatal error). I'd wish the severity would be obvious from the
> message.

I agree.

> I once wrote some code to do something like that. Showing some calling
> examples
> might make it obvious:
>
> message(MSG_TYPE_DEBUG, __LINE__, my_step, instance,
>        "min_pause=%ld\n",
>        min_pause);
>
> message(MSG_TYPE_ERROR, __LINE__, my_step, instance,
>        "Incompatible alert state: file %s, ID %06lx\n",
>        state_file, state.id);
>
> message(MSG_TYPE_INFO, __LINE__, my_step, instance,
>        "OS error (%s: %s)\n",
>        state_file, strerror(last_errno));
>
> message(MSG_TYPE_FATAL, __LINE__, my_step, instance,
>        "No memory for state file %s\n",
>        file);
>
> message(MSG_TYPE_WARN, __LINE__, my_step, instance,
>        "file \"%s\" exceeded size threshold\n",
>        msg_file);
>
> My "instance" is what you called "event"; "step" are steps in processing
> something
> (an integer), and __LINE__ is just handy if "Instance" includes the source
> file.

Yes. It would be nice if we had the function + line number for each
log. I'm not sure that I understand the meaning of 'step'. Here's an
example (to make sure that I got you right): if you send a PDU, you
can print multiple messages while preparing & sending the PDU, each
with its own step number. For example:

"(1) allocating PDU"
"(2) init PDU"
"(3) sending PDU"