On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:02:52 -0500
Mike Christie <micha...@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:

> On 03/18/2010 08:58 AM, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> >
> > - You invent your hardware specific data structure for the simplest
> >    operation such as setting IP address.
>
> I think this is what Jay is not trying to do. I think the patch has some
> extra code like the ISCSI_BSG_HST_VENDOR parts that makes it confusing -
> it got me too. The ISCSI_BSG_HST_VENDOR code in be2iscsi looks like it
> is basically disabled (should remove for a formal patch when he sends
> for merging).
>
> It looks like there is a common struct iscsi_bsg_common_format that is
> getting passed around, and then in be2iscsi the driver is using that
> info to make a be2iscsi specific command. So scsi_transport_iscsi /
> ISCSI_SET_IP_ADDR / iscsi_bsg_common_format  gets translated by b2iscsi
> to b2iscsi / OPCODE_COMMON_ISCSI_NTWK_MODIFY_IP_ADDR / be_modify_ip_addr.

Yeah, seems you are right. But looks like this patchset also adds the
vendor specific message support (ISCSI_BSG_HST_VENDOR)?

I still want to know why vendors can't do this via the existing
netlink interface. open-iscsi uses the netlink interface for some pdu
so I guess that having a different channel for management might be a
good idea.