Mike and all, okay, noted about the ping timeout messages.  I set both
of
those values by running:

iscsiadm --mode node --o update -n
node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_interval -v 10
iscsiadm --mode node --o update -n node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_timeout
-v 10

I verifed the settings took via iscsiadm --mode node --o show.  I'm
not seeing ping timeout's in the logs anymore.

I was wrong about the block/sd# timeout changes, it didn't make a
difference, I still see the:
"iscisd: Kernel reported iSCSI iscsi connection error #:# (1011) state
(3)" messages.

We are running tests on 3 to 4o filesystems where we loop and do
dd if=/dev/zero of=$FILENAME bs=$((1024 *1024)) count=8000
dd if=/dev/zero of=$FILENAME bs=$((1024 *1024)) count=12000

to drive disk utilization to high 90% and occaisionally 100%.  We are
getting great throughput, but the errors keep occuring.

Called equallogic, and they said the diagnostics on the array show
they aren't receiving a FIN from the initiator side, said could be due
to problems with initiator.

We are running with jumbo frames, don't know if that means we should
increase MaxRecvDataSegmentLength and/or MaxXmitDataSegmentLength

So I tried upgrading open-iscsi by downloading 2.0-871 and building,
and succeeds for the three main files, iscsid, iscsiadm, iscsistart,
but failes on make -C kernel, gives several errors for libiscsi.c

Stuck here at the moment.