On 12/17/2010 06:55 PM, Rustad, Mark D wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking into adding support for DCB into iSCSI. I think
> it is best to do this in a way that will not require a strong
> dependency on DCB for iSCSI. That is, installing open-iscsi
> should not then require open-lldp to also be installed. I see
> at least two ways to do this.
>
> The first is to have open-lldp supply a library that iscsid
> can link with at run time (through dlopen/dlsym). In that way,
> if the library is not there, iscsid can go on as usual. It
> also allows lldpad more freedom to change over time.
>
> The second way is to put a little more code directly in
> iscsid and have it interrogate lldpad for the proper priority
> to set. If the lldpad socket isn't there, iscsid can go on as
> usual. I am thinking that open-lldp can supply the source files
> that would be placed directly into open-iscsi and updated as
> needed. These source files might also be used by other network
> applications that want to participate fully in a DCB environment.
>
> I had been leaning toward the first way until I started thinking
> about iscsistart and initrds. Then it seemed that the run-time
> linkage would create more trouble than it would be worth.
> It started to seem like over-engineering.

I would prefer the second method.
DCB configuration itself is quite involved and requires to
negotiate the transfer parameter before the connection is setup.
And as DCB is in fact quite a different beast from iSCSI we
should keep it as a separate daemon.
Which would also be in-line with the current fcoeadm setup.

> In either case, I was thinking about adding code right before
> the connect() call in iscsi_io_tcp_connect to set the socket
> options based on information from lldpad. Is anything more
> than that needed (besides doing something similar in iscsistart)?

VLAN creation.
>From what I've seen iSCSI support in DCB would work similar
to FCoE, ie the iSCSI traffic will be sent via a separate
VLAN. Which we would need to create, eventually.
So basically we would need something similar to 'fipvlan'
or integrate this functionality into open-iscsi.

> The socket protocol to lldpad is already versioned, so that
> should prevent any terribly rude surprises in the future should
> mismatched components be used together.
>
> Does this sound reasonable to you? Would you rather see it done
> in a different way? Would you prefer for iscsid to simply send
> a file descriptor to the lldpad socket and have lldpad set the
> socket options itself?

Ugh. No. As mentioned, I fear we would need to setup a VLAN
interface here, in which case we would be running off a
totally different socket anyway.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                   zSeries & Storage
h...@suse.de                          +49 911 74053 688