Thanks for the response. I'm currently toying with this on my Fedora 15
system but eventually this will be implemented on a centos 6.2 system with:

root@dus1san1:~# iscsiadm -V
iscsiadm version 2.0-872.33.el6
root@dus1san1:~# uname -a
Linux dus1san1.cvsn.local 2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Dec 6 19:48:22
GMT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My problem is that I'm not sure how the various timeouts relate to each
other. What I basically want to be able to do is to guarantee that if e.g.
a network outage lasts X seconds I want the virtual machines to recover and
not get an I/O error resulting in a corrupt filesystem.

>From the readme it sound like the first thing that happens are the 5 "ping"
retries and this would last 5*noop_out_timeout seconds. What happens after
that?
It sounds like a re-establishment of the connection is then attempted. Will
this then generate new noop retry cycle and last until the
replacement_timeout has passed? At which point does the os device timeout
come into play (/sys/block/sdX/...)?

I guess what I'm looking for is a sort of timeline. The network gets
unplugged and an I/O request is issued (e.g. a simple "ls" on the
filesystem on an iscsi device) to the device. What happens with this I/O
request until it hits the wall and the failure manifest itself and show up
as an I/O error on the console?
(Currently I'm not using multipath in the setup I'm experimenting with)

Regards,
  Dennis