Ahh right - I'm trying to keep this connection as open as possible as it
will have many connections over a private network (using an iSCSI Drobo as
storage for a render farm).  I've commented any lines regarding CHAP and
tried again:

 deadlineserver@deadlineserver ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/open-iscsi start
 * Setting up iSCSI targets                                             [
OK ]

Good sign!  Unfortunately I'm still getting the same result:

deadlineserver@deadlineserver / $ sudo iscsiadm -m discovery -t sendtargets
-p 10.10.0.1
iscsiadm: Login authentication failed with target
iscsiadm: discovery login to 10.10.0.1 failed, giving up
iscsiadm: Could not perform SendTargets discovery.

I really appreciate the effort you've put into helping me as a total
stranger so I'll understand if it becomes a bit too much.

Jeff