On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 8:40:32 AM UTC-4, Mike Christie wrote:

> The open-iscsi driver has no control over this. I think there is a ext4
> mounting option to control the feature. I think in newer kernels the
> scsi layer will disable the use of the feature when you get the first
> illegal request error but am not sure.
>
> Or, I think you can disable it from sysfs if you set the
> write_same_blocks file to 0.

Mike,
Thanks very much! The kernel is a fairly new one (3.8.5) so any patch to do
that would have had to be pretty recent, but it would be nice that's for
sure.

# echo 0 >
./devices/platform/host11/session1/target11:0:0/11:0:0:0/scsi_disk/11:0:0:0/max_write_same_blocks
# echo 0 >
./devices/platform/host12/session2/target12:0:0/12:0:0:0/scsi_disk/12:0:0:0/max_write_same_blocks

Setting the max_write_same_blocks to zero on both devices did work. The log
spam has stopped and things appear to be working fine.

I assume this is lost on reboot and needs to be done at startup? Is there a
mapping somewhere between the SCSI disk no (11, 12) and the UUID that I
could use to ensure I get the right disks in a startup script?

Thanks