On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 1:31:30 PM UTC-8, Mike Christie wrote:

> On 11/25/2014 06:58 PM, The Lee-Man wrote:
> > Hi Mike:
> >
> > I am dealing with a problem in Equallogic, and it looks like the Current
> > Portal and Persistent Portal are different.
> >
> > As this is something I haven't seen before, I was hoping you could
> > explain what it is.
> >
> > I see in the README:

> >         Current Portal: portal currently logged into
> >         Persistent Portal: portal we would fall back to if we had got
> > redirected during login
> >
> > Is this related to Equallogic's iSCSI login redirect?
>
> Yes.
>

> > It sounds like the Persistent Portal is the one that we initially try to
> > log into, and the Current Portal is the one we get redirected to. Or is
>
> Correct. Persistent portal is the one returned by the discovery command.

Excellent. I guessed correctly. :)

> > that backwards?
> >
> > What happens if we discover the main (group virtual) portal, and our
> > Node record reflects that, then we get redirected? It seems like the
>
> Node record portal ip is the ip that the EQL box returns when you do
> discovery, and it is the persistent ip value you see in sysfs and when
> you run iscsiadm -m session.
>
> Note that if a driver does not support persistent_address attr then the
> persistent and current are both the currently logged into address. I
> think just older qlogic driver did not export this, but does now.
>
> Also, really old iser drivers did not export the non persistent address
> so they were both the same, but that was a long time ago.

I noticed the code that filled in both current and persistent portal, as
needed.

> > Portal is going to differ between the Node record and the Session
> > record, which might explain what I'm seeing.
>
> It should match.

No. If the current and persistent portals differ, then only one
of them can match the current session.

> Run
> iscsiadm -m session
> and
> iscsiadm -m session -P 1
> and
> iscsiadm -m node .... your target/portal
>
> Does it show what it should?
>

> > In this particular case, the problem occurs when Yast tries to step
> > through the Session records, doing an "iscsiadm -m node -I default -T
> > <iqn> -p <ip:port> -P1" for each session, but IPs does not match.
> >

> I am not sure what you mean. The iscsiadm -m node command above prints
> out the node record. What do you mean by session record? What gets
> printed when you do iscsiadm -m session/iscsiadm -m session -P $N?
>
> The iscsiadm -m session command prints the persistent address. See
> session_info_print_flat, so it should match what you see in iscsiadm -m
> node commands.
>
> Maybe you could cut and paste an example of what you mean it would help.

I do not have a Equallogic system, so I cannot do that.

Let me try to explain again. I have a bad habit of getting the information I
need but not explaining why I need it very well.

We had a Yast script that was trying to match sessions and nodes. And in
the case of an Eql array with iSCSI login redirect, the persistent and
current portals differed. The script, in error, was trying to match the
current portal to the node record, but that script should have instead
been matching the persistent portal to the node record.

I explained to them how the portal redirect works, and the script
is fixed now.

Thanks for your help!