On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 6:12:34 AM UTC-7, lokesharora wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the response. the above mentioned text is a part of the
> description given by RFC. Please find below the other part.
> So the RFC states the below mentioned text for fail over. And apart from
> the method of listening to the heart beat messages it also mentions that
> fail over mechanism is possible but not explained fully in this document.
>
> The RFC says:
>
> Server failover and recovery are topics of continuing research, and adequate
> resolution of issues such
>    as split brain and primary server selection is dependent on the
>    specific implementation requirements and deployment needs.  The
>    failover mechanisms discussed in this document focus on the
>    interaction between iSNS clients and iSNS servers.  Specifically,
>    what is covered in this document includes the following:
>
> -  iSNS client behavior and the iSNS protocol interaction between the
>       client and multiple iSNS servers, some of which are backup
>       servers.
>
> -  Required failover behaviors of the collection of iSNS servers that
>       includes active and backup servers.
>

> *However*, note that this document does not specify the complete
>    functional failover requirements of each iSNS server.  In particular,
>    it does not specify the complete set of protocol interactions among
>    the iSNS servers that are required to achieve stable failover
>    operation in an interoperable manner.
>

> I know it says that the above mentioned details are implementation specific
> but I would like to know these implementations as I myself have some ideas
> regarding the same and need to know the current implementation methods.
>

> Thanks
>
> Lokesh

I just rescanned the open-isns code here:
 https://github.com/gonzoleeman/open-isns -- this is supposed to be the
official home of open-isns.

There is only one mention of failover, and it's in the TODO file:

Heartbeat:
 -      Implement message send
 -      Implement failover?

So it looks like it's a known issue. Sounds like it's wide open, if you
want to submit patches to fix that.

Right now I am trying to get open-isns in sync with open-iscsi, but as soon
as that's done I would entertain a set of patches that would address this.