On 03/01/2016 04:27 PM, Ferenc Wágner wrote:
> Hannes Reinecke <h...@suse.de> writes:

>>> That's exactly the reason why I never allocate large data structures on
>>> the stack in applications I write myself and why I use dynamic memory
>>> allocation for large data structures. To make sure that such large stack
>>> allocations get detected I set the stack size to a low value:
>>>
>>>   pthread_attr_t attr;
>>>   pthread_attr_init(&attr);
>>>   pthread_attr_setstacksize(&attr, PTHREAD_STACK_MIN);
>>>   pthread_create(..., &attr, ..., ...);
>>
>> Oh, I don't need to detect them.
>> I know exactly where they are. But precisely that is a design goal of
>> the libudev code, so any patches trying to fix that up will be discarded
>> out-of-hand :-(
>
> Do you mean that it's a design goal to avoid dynamic allocations in the
> libudev code?  What's the rationale for that?  Avoiding leaks at all costs?
> (Sorry for the offtopic, but I wonder...)

Hey, don't ask me. _I_ didn't write that code.
Kay Sievers appears to like it, so better ask him.

(I would think the idea is that you don't need to do memory allocations,
which might fail after all)

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                   zSeries & Storage
h...@suse.de                          +49 911 74053 688