On 11/20/2016 04:45 PM, Lee Duncan wrote:
> I use socket activation for SUSE because we want open-iscsi installed
> by default but not running. There was an effort to reduce the number
> of default-running services, and it takes an act of congress to add
> a new default-running service now. The approach now is to give
> the end-user more choice in which services are running, rather than
> choosing for them.
>
> But socket activation allows iscsid to only be started the first
> time it’s needed, and that was an acceptable alternative to
> having the daemon running all the time.

But how does that interact with your boot process?

 - Don't you run iscsiadm -m node --loginall=automatic? Doesn't
   that start iscsid automatically, regardless of the startup
   setting, because it will send a request along the socket? And
   since there is no idle logic in iscsid, will that not keep
   running by default anyway?

 - How do you start iscsid if a session is configured in via
   the initramfs (i.e. rootfs on iSCSI, using iscsistart), but there
   is no session in the database, if your daemon is only ever
   socket-activated?

> We have a separate service for iscsi sessions, layered on top
> of the daemon service, but I can see this sequence happening
> for us if the user has the session service enabled but manually
> kills iscsid.

Out of curiosity: how does your startup logic work precisely? I
personally think it'd be interesting to see what other distros do.

(That said: I don't think that we can adopt this in Debian anytime
soon, definitely not for the next Debian release, as we must
support legacy configuration from previous upgrades, and previously
people could configure all sorts of stuff that was done at boot
time by some script that I personally want to get rid of at some
point in the future.)

Regards,
Christian