Lee,

It would appear that the guilty party was:

node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_interval = 5
node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_timeout = 5

I changed both of these to 0 for the tape device and the problem went away.

Please note that the README.gz for open-scsi doesn't actually say that this
is what you need to do to disable the NOP-out polling, so could I suggest
that this be stated explicitly.

I must admit that I find it hard to imagine that an iSCSI target would
reply to a NOP-out while it was processing a command such as a tape fsf or
even tape erase (whose timeout is 6 * the long-timeout of 4 hours).  Should
perhaps the NOP-out polling be suspended while a command is being
processed?  Or alternatively maybe the NOP-out polling be completely
disabled by default with something in the README.gz file that explains WHEN
you might want it and how to enable it.   It's certainly clear that (at
least) the MS iSCSI initiator doesn't send NOP-out polls.

Regards
Dave

Regards
Dave