On Dec 15, 2016, at 7:14 AM, david.partri...@perdrix.co.uk wrote:

> Lee,
>
> It would appear that the guilty party was:
>
> node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_interval = 5
> node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_timeout = 5
>
> I changed both of these to 0 for the tape device and the problem went away.

Excellent.

> Please note that the README.gz for open-scsi doesn't actually say that this
> is what you need to do to disable the NOP-out polling, so could I suggest
> that this be stated explicitly.

My README says, in section 8.2:

> For this setup, you can turn off iSCSI pings by setting:
>
> node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_interval = 0
> node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_timeout = 0

> I must admit that I find it hard to imagine that an iSCSI target would reply
> to a NOP-out while it was processing a command such as a tape fsf or even
> tape erase (whose timeout is 6 * the long-timeout of 4 hours).  Should
> perhaps the NOP-out polling be suspended while a command is being processed?
> Or alternatively maybe the NOP-out polling be completely disabled by default
> with something in the README.gz file that explains WHEN you might want it and
> how to enable it.   It's certainly clear that (at least) the MS iSCSI
> initiator doesn't send NOP-out polls.

open-iscsi is normally used to deal with discs. When it’s used with tape it’s
not unusual to find bugs or design errors that we did not know were present.

Perhaps a small blurb in the README about dealing with tape, suggesting turning
NOOP/ping off. Please feel free to post a pull request on github or suggest a
patch on this list.

--
Lee Duncan

"Choice means saying no to one thing so you can say yes to another." -- Dan
Millman