On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 2:35:26 PM UTC-7, Bob Marris wrote:

> I'm running my initiator's root partition via open-iscsi to an IET target.
>
> I'm testing failure scenarios, and in the event of a target reboot (or
> daemon restart) my initiator seems to hang.  I was hoping it would be able
> to recover and just carry on running once the target came back. Since this
> is my root partition I can't see any logs once it hangs....
>
> I've increased node.session.timeo.replacement_timeout.
>
> I've also added "discovery.sendtargets.use_discoveryd = Yes"  in
> /etc/iscsi/send_targets/192.168.1.5,3260/st_config, thinking that it
> would allow the initiator to rediscover/login to the target when it comes
> back up.
>
> I do not believe having your target rediscovered is the right approach and
is likely just mucking things up. I suggest you reset this back to default,
until you figure out the issue.

> [...]
>
> pi@homeauto:/etc/iscsi $ sudo iscsiadm -m node -T
> iqn.2017-07.eu.bobta:domoticz -p 192.168.1.5
> # BEGIN RECORD 2.0-873
> node.name = iqn.2017-07.eu.bobta:domoticz
> node.tpgt = 1
> node.startup = automatic
> node.leading_login = No
> iface.hwaddress = <empty>
> iface.ipaddress = <empty>
> iface.iscsi_ifacename = default
> iface.net_ifacename = <empty>
> iface.transport_name = tcp
> iface.initiatorname = <empty>
> iface.bootproto = <empty>
> iface.subnet_mask = <empty>
> iface.gateway = <empty>
> iface.ipv6_autocfg = <empty>
> iface.linklocal_autocfg = <empty>
> iface.router_autocfg = <empty>
> iface.ipv6_linklocal = <empty>
> iface.ipv6_router = <empty>
> iface.state = <empty>
> iface.vlan_id = 0
> iface.vlan_priority = 0
> iface.vlan_state = <empty>
> iface.iface_num = 0
> iface.mtu = 0
> iface.port = 0
> node.discovery_address = 192.168.1.5
> node.discovery_port = 3260
> node.discovery_type = send_targets
> node.session.initial_cmdsn = 0
> node.session.initial_login_retry_max = 8
> node.session.xmit_thread_priority = -20
> node.session.cmds_max = 128
> node.session.queue_depth = 32
> node.session.nr_sessions = 1
> node.session.auth.authmethod = CHAP
> node.session.auth.username = bob
> node.session.auth.password = ********
> node.session.auth.username_in = <empty>
> node.session.auth.password_in = <empty>
> node.session.timeo.replacement_timeout = 1200
> node.session.err_timeo.abort_timeout = 15
> node.session.err_timeo.lu_reset_timeout = 30
> node.session.err_timeo.tgt_reset_timeout = 30
> node.session.err_timeo.host_reset_timeout = 60
> node.session.iscsi.FastAbort = Yes
> node.session.iscsi.InitialR2T = No
> node.session.iscsi.ImmediateData = Yes
> node.session.iscsi.FirstBurstLength = 262144
> node.session.iscsi.MaxBurstLength = 16776192
> node.session.iscsi.DefaultTime2Retain = 0
> node.session.iscsi.DefaultTime2Wait = 2
> node.session.iscsi.MaxConnections = 1
> node.session.iscsi.MaxOutstandingR2T = 1
> node.session.iscsi.ERL = 0
> node.conn[0].address = 192.168.1.5
> node.conn[0].port = 3260
> node.conn[0].startup = automatic
> node.conn[0].tcp.window_size = 524288
> node.conn[0].tcp.type_of_service = 0
> node.conn[0].timeo.logout_timeout = 15
> node.conn[0].timeo.login_timeout = 15
> node.conn[0].timeo.auth_timeout = 45
> node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_interval = 0
> node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_timeout = 0
> node.conn[0].iscsi.MaxXmitDataSegmentLength = 0
> node.conn[0].iscsi.MaxRecvDataSegmentLength = 262144
> node.conn[0].iscsi.HeaderDigest = None
> node.conn[0].iscsi.DataDigest = None
> node.conn[0].iscsi.IFMarker = No
> node.conn[0].iscsi.OFMarker = No
> # END RECORD
>
> Any help would be very much appreciated!

It looks like you are using CHAP? That shouldn't be an issue, but to
simplify things you might want to remove that.

I tested using iet as a target on SLE 12 SP1 and open-iscsi initiator on
SLE 12 SP2. I ran a "dd" to read all the blocks on the iscsi target from
the inititator, as well as running a "mkfs.ext3". Then I restarted the iet
daemon. Both IO streams paused then continued. In other words, I cannot
reproduce your issue.

Can you do some testing? When the system hangs, is it the initiator or the
target? You should be able to log into the target from another (different)
initiator to see if the target's still working.

You can also enable debugging on the target and the initiator to see what's
happening when your hang occurs.

I would suggest testing by using your iscsi target as a *non-root* disc. If
it's your root disc and you have issues, you can't debug them very easily
if you're using it as your root disc.
--
Lee Duncan