Hi All:

I have been tracking down an issue that has to do with iSCSI sessions going
away.

If an initiator and target have a session, then iscsid goes away (stops or
dies, without logging out of the session), and then the target goes away,
iscsid has an issue when it starts back up.

It looks like iscsid retries forever to reconnect the session. There doesn’t
appear to be any code that gives up and cleans up the session. Ever.

During this retry-forever period, any attempt to access important session
information from sysfs returns ENOTCONN — a pretty clear indication that the
node is not connected.

It seems to me like this is a bug. Or two:

1 - The retries should be limited to something reasonable, then give up and
clean up the session, assuming it’s “bad”, and

2 - When iscsiadm sees the ENOTCONN, it should print out a message saying “in
recovery to unconnected node, try again” while the retries are going on.

Another approach might be to let the retries go on forever, or until a user
runs some sort of “force the session to end” command?

I have been looking at this a while, and it’s not clear how simple it will be
to implement either of these approaches. Right now, this registers as a
“libopeniscsiusr BUG”, which is not acceptable.

Ideas? We need some way (besides reboot) to say “this target is never coming
back”, right?

—
Lee Duncan