On 09/19/2018 12:39 PM, Lee Duncan wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I have been tracking down an issue that has to do with iSCSI sessions going
> away.
>
> If an initiator and target have a session, then iscsid goes away (stops or
> dies, without logging out of the session), and then the target goes away,
> iscsid has an issue when it starts back up.
>
> It looks like iscsid retries forever to reconnect the session. There doesn’t
> appear to be any code that gives up and cleans up the session. Ever.
>
> During this retry-forever period, any attempt to access important session
> information from sysfs returns ENOTCONN — a pretty clear indication that the
> node is not connected.
>
> It seems to me like this is a bug. Or two:
>
> 1 - The retries should be limited to something reasonable, then give up and
> clean up the session, assuming it’s “bad”, and
>
> 2 - When iscsiadm sees the ENOTCONN, it should print out a message saying “in
> recovery to unconnected node, try again” while the retries are going on.
>
> Another approach might be to let the retries go on forever, or until a user
> runs some sort of “force the session to end” command?
>
> I have been looking at this a while, and it’s not clear how simple it will be
> to implement either of these approaches. Right now, this registers as a
> “libopeniscsiusr BUG”, which is not acceptable.

This is one of those things where I said I would fix if anyone ever
complains, but luckily I made it through my entire time as maintainer
and no one ever did. So, I guess basically tag you're it :)

Checkout node.session.initial_login_retry_max and iscsi_login_eh. The
current state machine detects the iscsid restart case as a relogin and
so that setting does not kick in. You could:

1. modify the state machine check so it does.
2. add a new setting that works like initial_login_retry_max but doesn't
really work like it :) What I mean is that initial_login_retry_max was
trying to handle a lot of different cases so it is a little odd. See the
iscsid.conf comments. You probably want to make something that is more
straightforward.