As with all the the org.apache.openjpa.persistence.*Exception classes, it appears to defer to org.apache.openjpa.util.Exceptions.toString(ExceptionInfo), whose behavior is presumably expected. Since JDK 1.4/1.5's Throwable.toString() doesn't print out nested exception messages, I don't see any reason why we should. Furthermore, in cases where there are many nested exceptions (e.g., when a rollback occurs due to many optimistic violations, which has a nested exception per failed instance).

Are there any specific cases where you think the toString() would be nice to have?