You may also be interested in the StateManager.getDirty() method, which
returns a BitSet corresponding to the entries in
StateManager.getMetaData().getFields(). The BitSet identifies which
fields in a given object are modified.

On top of that, you could also take advantage of
StateManager.getFlushed(), which returns another BitSet indicating which
fields have already been flushed. Combining the two, you can compute
which fields are dirty and unflushed; in a pre-flush callback, these are
the fields that have been mutated since the last time flush() was
invoked (directly or indirectly).

Speaking of incremental flushing, is Compass transactional? IOW, is it
possible to periodically (at flush() time) update Compass with
mutations, and then only make the changes visible outside the current
transactional scope at commit time? If so, it'd be interesting to also
explore how we could hook up OpenJPA savepoints (when available). If
not, then we should make sure we figure out what the memory implications
are of using Compass + OpenJPA incremental flushes + large transactions.
OpenJPA has features designed for optimizing memory handling in large
transactions; Compass/OpenJPA work could probably dovetail nicely into
some or all of these existing integration points.

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
BEA Systems, Inc.