Matthieu-

My only other guess is that you might not actually be using your ManagedRuntime setting, because we might need it to be a String (the fully-qualified class name of your ManagedRuntime implementation), rather than an actual instance of the class. Can you try specifying the class name in the "openjpa.ManagedRuntime" setting? Also, try enabling TRACE logging and posting the complete output from when you run your test, since that might help show what the value is getting set to.

If it's not that, then I'm afraid I'm stumped.

Can you try to debug it by either seeing if you can enable logging for the JOTM TransactionManager, or by subclassing it? I want to see if TransactionManager.registerSynchronization(broker) is ever being called. Alternately, you can put in some debugging code in AbstractBrokerFactory.syncWithManagedTransaction() and rebuilding OpenJPA and seeing if that is ever called, although that might be more work.