Sorry, I forgot to add the following fact - which will be of MOST
interest obviously:

- analysing the logfiles where the conflicting TXs occur, it seems that
there are currently 2 THREAD RUNNING IN PARALLEL.
- each thread is working on definitely different data, so a deadlock
should not really be possible

but I think I can remember that somebody mentioned that OpenJPA is not
safe for multithreaded usage by default and that
some special parameter has to be set in perstence.xml ? But if I
understood the discussion right, this was just if different
EMF's are using multithreaded, not the EM's - that's why I did not yet
activate this multithreaded feature.

Is this also the case for the behaviour I described? (application
managed JPA, outside a java ee 5 container, but running inside
a java ee 1.4 container utilizing its JTA managed transactions;
multithreaded environment).

any ideas?

Hans