Marc,

I'm trying to run MappingTool to look at -sql option, but I can't make it to work with a PU without connecting to the database (my persistence.xml has <jta-data-source>), and I can't find in the docs how to specify the DBDictionary without persistence.xml.

thanks,
-marina

Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:
Marina-

The problem is that OpenJPA just ignores extra, unmapped columns. Since we don't require that you map all of the columns of a database table to an entity, tables can exist that have unmapped columns. By default, we tend to err on the side of caution, so we never drop tables or columns. The "deleteTableContents" flag merely deletes all the rows in a table, it doesn't actually drop the table.

We don't have any options for asserting that the table is mapped completely. That might be a nice enhancement, and would allows OpenJPA to warn when it sees a existing table with unmapped columns.

You could manually drop the tables using the mappingtool by specifying the "schemaAction" argument to "drop", but there's no way to do it automatically using the SynchronizeMappings. Note that there is nothing preventing you from manually invoking the MappingTool class from any startup to glue code that you want.