Have a base class, say B and have 2 classes derived from it X and Y.

B is
@MappedSuperclass
@Inheritance(strategy = InheritanceType.TABLE_PER_CLASS)

X has oneY (1 to 1) unidirection

        @OneToOne(fetch = FetchType.EAGER, cascade = { CascadeType.ALL})
        @JoinColumn(name = "Y_ID", nullable=false)

Y does not know of X.

Caused by: <0.9.7-incubating fatal store error>
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.RollbackException: Attempt to assign id
"com.testc.reporting.core.pbo.Base-201" to new instance
"com.testc.reporting.core.pbo.Project-com.testc.reporting.core.pbo.Base-201"
failed; there is already an object in the L1 cache with this id. You must
delete this object (in a previous transaction or the current one) before
reusing its id.  This error can also occur when a horizontally or vertically
mapped classes uses auto-increment application identity and does not use a
hierarchy of application identity classes.
        at
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.EntityManagerImpl.commit(EntityManagerImpl.java:420)
        at
com.testc.reporting.core.TestProject.testCreateProject(TestProject.java:54)
        at com.testc.reporting.core.TestProject.testProject(TestProject.java:24)
        at com.testc.reporting.core.Main.main(Main.java:19)
        ... 27 more
Caused by: <0.9.7-incubating fatal user error>
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.ArgumentException: Attempt to assign id
"com.testc.reporting.core.pbo.Base-201" to new instance
"com.testc.reporting.core.pbo.Project-com.testc.reporting.core.pbo.Base-201"
failed; there is already an object in the L1 cache with this id. You must
delete this object (in a previous transaction or the current one) before
reusing its id.  This error can also occur when a horizontally or vertically
mapped classes uses auto-increment application identity and does not use a
hierarchy of application identity classes.
FailedObject:
com.testc.reporting.core.pbo.Project-com.testc.reporting.core.pbo.Base-201
        at
org.apache.openjpa.kernel.BrokerImpl$ManagedCache.commitNew(BrokerImpl.java:4528)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.kernel.BrokerImpl.setStateManager(BrokerImpl.java:3787)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.kernel.StateManagerImpl.commit(StateManagerImpl.java:925)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.kernel.BrokerImpl.endTransaction(BrokerImpl.java:2194)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.kernel.BrokerImpl.afterCompletion(BrokerImpl.java:1801)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.kernel.LocalManagedRuntime.commit(LocalManagedRuntime.java:93)
        at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.BrokerImpl.commit(BrokerImpl.java:1311)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.kernel.DelegatingBroker.commit(DelegatingBroker.java:866)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.EntityManagerImpl.commit(EntityManagerImpl.java:409)
        ... 30 more