I don't think it matters whether you are using DB2 or any other database.
Getting back to one of Patrick's earlier requests...  Can you post more
information on the Project and Base classes?  You've posted a snippet of the
Base class and it's ID, but how are you defining the Project and it's ID?
As Abe as pointed out, if two classes in an inheritance hierarchy use the
same ID class, then unique id values need to be provided for each instance.
Could you also post your DDL for generating your tables?  Was this
hand-generated DDL or created by the OpenJPA tooling?  Thanks.

Kevin