Am Dienstag 30 Dezember 2014, 16:45:27 schrieb Levente Peres:
> Hello Jeff,
>
> Thank you for answering.
>
> I might have been a little obscure... I'll try to clear this up for you.
>
> So... Right NOW I have a partition called /vicepa, which exists right
> now, and has an XFS volume, which is used actively. It has some
> terabytes of data and about 2.5 times of free space as the actual data.

Why did you mount it as /vicepa at all? It's not an AFS partition.

> This data has to be migrated within the same server to AFS.

Why same server? An AFS setup usually consists of several servers, especially
if you want to serve terabytes of data. Not to mention the needed kerberos
server.

> Unfortunately, I have only this "one" partition remotely big enough to
> hold the data and/or fast enough to handle in a reasonable amount of time.

Fast enough for what? To copy over the data or to serve it afterwards?

> My idea was based on the following: Somewhere I remember reading, that
> it would be OK to have "AFS filesystem data" and "normal files" coexist
> on the same partition for a while, if I watched carefully not to run out
> of space. This may or may not be true - it was a long time.

Yes, it could work, but you should definitely test it on a spare machine first.

> So my original concept was that I would create the AFS filesystem on
> "top" of the "existing data" on the /vicepa partition, then copy it over
> to the cell's logical mount, then just delete the "old" data and have a
> "pure" AFS partition left after.

You should also plan to divide the data into logical chunks that you can store
on different AFS volumes (even if you stay on your single server), as it will
make backups or migration of your data to other /vicepX partitions (maybe on
other AFS servers) easier.

HTH...

        Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinri...@altum.de>
Tel: +49 (0)2471 209385 | Mobil: +49 (0)176 34473913