There is an undocumented option in molecule.write() and .readfile() which
allows of passing options to reading/writing. You must pass opt with
dictionary of options. For line you gave: opt = {'b' : None, 'i' : None,
'a' : None} although I believe that 'b' : None should be 'b' : '' if you
wish to pass empty value, since None is reserved for options without value.
You could look into that in pybel.py file.

----
Pozdrawiam,  |  Best regards,
Maciek Wójcikowski
mac...@wojcikowski.pl