On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Daniel Rodriguez Elvira <
d_r_elv...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Craig,
> You are right, I should be more specific, sorry. I installed the apt just
> fine, but when I type babel example.sdf example.pdb the following message
> appears:
>
> Cannot open CID_969516.sdf
> 0 molecules converted
> 1 errors

That doesn't seem quite right.  Why is it complaining about CID_969516.sdf
when you typed "example.sdf"?

If what you mean is that you typed:

    babel CID_969516.sdf CID_969516.pdb

then the error makes more sense.  You probably don't have permission to
open the file.  Try "ls -l CID_969516.sdf" to see the permissions and
ownership.  Type "more CID_969516.sdf" to see if you can read the file's
contents.

This sounds like a Linux file-permission problem, not an OpenBabel problem.

Craig