Hi Harald,

We can give you 55 SIM cards with known Ki.

Regards

Roch.

On 10/26/2010 06:36 PM, Harald Welte wrote:
Hi all!

As some of you know, we will again have an OpenBSC field test at the
Chaos Communication Congress from December 27-30 in Berlin / Germany.

I have already applied for the license from the regulatory authority. No
feedback yet, but I expect no problems, as it is more or less what we
had last year.  The only difference is that I've asked for 6 ARFCN (5 last
year).

It will again be a nanoBTS / GSM 1800 setup.

Regarding the overall setup, I want to deviate from what we had last year
in the following way:

1) Issue our own SIM cards to permit Authentication + Encryption.  This is
    the perfect way how we can have a A5/1 based network that people can use
    to play with airprobe + Kraken - without violating any laws.

    In practise, this will mean we use 16in1 SIM cards, I have already bought
    1000 of them.  It also means that the GSM helpdesk will have to issue those
    SIMC cards.  I would suggest we simply sell them (as opposed to providing
    them for a deposit, as we then would have to take back a lot of cards and
    return money, which is a lot of overhead).

    We will keep a database of all the IMSI + Ki tuples that we have issued,
    which we will use as HLR + AuC.   This database will be persistent, i.e.
    at other events like the CCC camp 2011 or 28C3 we expect those SIM cards
    to be used again without any registration.

2) Provide GPRS + EDGE services using OsmoSGSN and OpenGGSN.  I am not sure
    how stable this will run - but we have a good chacne of catching bugs in
    our code by running at the event.  We will be able to provide real-world
    IP addresses to every mobile phone, without filter and without NAT !

    I am not yet sure how we will deal with dividing the timeslots between
    GSM and GPRS.  The dynamic TCH / PDCH code in OpenBSC hasn't ever been
    tested, so we might use a static configuration - potentially changing
    that static config depending on the usage pattern / load we see.

3) Make dual-TRX setups standard (3 BTS with 2TRX each)

    This is simply to enhance the capacity, particularly of SDCCH/8 resources

4) Consider putting all BTS in the same location area

    This will significantly reduce our need for signalling channels, but at
    the expense we no longer know where a particular phone is located in the
    building.  Thus, we might make this optional and see if it is needed for
    load reasons.

5) Improve the SMS situation

    The current SMS code still sucks really bad.  We don't want this inside
    OpenBSC, and we still don't do timer-based / automatic delivery.  Using
    the manual 'sms send pending' command causes severe blockage if the queue
    is getting too large.  I will try to squeeze in some time to rewrite this
    code and make it run as external process.

6) User registration

    So we sell SIM cards with a pre-programmed IMSI + Ki, but how do we
    enable users to assign a phone number to them?  Ideally I would want
    them to simply register a phone number at the eventphone.de GURU
    web interface ahead of the event.  But how do we match the IMSI and
    the phone number?  Ask users to simply state the phone number they
    registered?  How do we get some kind of authentication?

Comments and additions are most welcome,
        Harald

--

Roch-Alexandre Nominé
CTO