On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 08:16:11AM +0200 or thereabouts, Pau Amaro Seoane wrote:

> > it's not; the 4 random devices do the same thing on OpenBSD.
> >
> >> ommiting 'r' from the name of device means that you operated on a device
> >> instead on a raw device. The output reported the end of device. Man dd
> >> isn't explicit, but leads me to believe it wasn't the desired result of the
> >> operation.
> >
> > it's just copying from a neverending source to a device of limited size,
> > this message is expected and you can ignore it.
>
> then what is the difference between writing to sd0c and to rsd0c?
>
> how bad is that error  for the installed operational system?

rsd0c is the raw device. It is written bypassing a lot of the operating
system and more directly to disk. A raw device and a block device is the
same thing.  Usually the user does not see much difference. But when the
computer boots you can think of it as counting blocks in order along the
disk to find the right one to decrypt and boot the kernel.

sd0c is a character device. It is not written by blocks but through the
operating system. If you write to a character device then, because you are
not yet booted, the boot process cannot find the decryption blocks.

My understanding is not the greatest but that is how I think of it to
myself.

Good Luck