Thanks Linas.  I have been reading the wiki,  I was able to get the
platform built on a mac using vagrant.  I will try and use the new octool
Matthew suggested on my ubuntu machine...
Yes I agree there needs to be a goal and I'll keep that in mind as I begin
trying to understand the different pieces of OpenCog and how they work
together and interact.  Thanks again for all the help and input.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/6f1b33bd-3c29-4ff7-8774-add7dbddde62%40googlegroups.com.