Hi James,

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 1:29 PM James Bolden <jamesbolden0...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Also, can someone elaborate on the meaning of the EvaluationLink structure
> mentioned on the sheaf github readme?

 See  https://wiki.opencog.org/w/EvaluationLink

These are the most basic, most primitive ways of representing data in the
atomspace.  In terms of understanding what this is about, you have to get
(very) comfortable with them, and how/why they are a "generic" way of
representing data.

Step two (and already, that's a big step) would be to understand how the
"matrix" API allows you to slap an ordinary linear matrix on any kind of
data in the atomspace -- take a slice through any graph, as it were. With
the matrix, you can compute normal, ordinary  joint probabilities -
conditional probablities, marginals, entropies, mutual information etc. in
very standard way, except that atomspace allows the matrix is extremely
sparse -- e.g. a matrix with trillions of entries, of which only millions
are non-zero.  The matrix API is just a generic way of taking a linear
algebra slice of your choice, through some arbitrary graph.  What's novel
here is the ability do handle extreme sparsity, and the ability keep your
data in a "natural" graphical form, while slicing through it in a linear
way.

Step three, the sheaf part, is currently super-minimal; it just grabs some
of these slices and stitches them together.  Not only is it minimal, but
some of the most interesting code & algos are in a different location
entirely, half-finished; I had to set aside that experiment some half-year
ago, and haven't been able to return to it in a meaningful way, just yet.

To answer your questions:

> On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 1:24:29 PM UTC-5, James Bolden wrote:
>>
>> I have a few questions about the sheaf API.
>>
>> 1. Does it work?
>>
>  Using some appropriate definition of "work", yes, (e.g. Anton's pipeline
runs it regularly) however it almost surely does not do what you're
imagining it to do.

2. Would it work well for representing scene graphs for use in scene-based
>> reasoning?

You'd have to design-your-own scene representation. Opencog has no
particular, predefined, preferred syntax for representing scenes. You can
do it however you wish; of course, some are better than others.  I strongly
strongly suggest taking a minimalist approach until you get comfortable: if
you have some paper with some illustration or diagram, just use the atomese
atoms to re-encode that diagram in a direct way. You can get fancy later;
don't start fancy.  I can help design a reasonable data representation.

As to "scene-based reasoning", that is ... a different conversation. I keep
asking the ghost guys to implement the basic prepositions: near, far,
above, below, next-to, in-front-of, etc. I think its straight-forward to
get this to work in a basic fashion, its not hard. They haven't done it yet
:-(  Its certainly easier than python bindings.  Anyway prepositions are
not "reasoning", they're more about "natural-language-knowing".

> 3. Are there Python bindings?

Not for the matrix nor the sheaf code. I would support this, but it would
be a huge task.

-- linas

> 4. Do they work?
>>
>> That's all.
>>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/c831de53-7b15-45d3-9a02-c01153b2be09%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/c831de53-7b15-45d3-9a02-c01153b2be09%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

cassette tapes - analog TV - film cameras - you

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CAHrUA34sfRHb1jFhthuTvr%3DbrMHz_OR2XPXbc0Oq_b__hkTGBw%40mail.gmail.com.