Hi Joel, Hi Misgana

Thanks for answering.

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 6:26 PM Joel Pitt <joel.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Linas,
>
> Thanks for updating the wiki page. I'll have a read.
>
> As I feel sufficiently rusty on OpenCog, I've just been lurking in this
> discussion. I should clarify that my question about the SpaceServer was for
> a particular SingularityNET project, and to me it felt that having a
> functional Space/Time Server was a logically useful thing for it to be
> successful.

Well, in that context, the first question would be "what do you want to do
with it?" because that drives all of the design.  If you just want to track
positions of things, I believe that ROS has some kick-butt solutions for
that: I mean -- people are building self-driving, self-flying you-name-its
with ROS and you are not going to beat the sensory infrastructure that has
been built up there.

My primary interest is to hook up perception to language and spatial
reasoning. For that, one has to be able to access spatial data on the same
platform that is doing language -- so, in my case, the AtomSpace.  For
language and common-sense reasoning, that means prepositions: is it above?
below? bigger? smaller? etc. so I am pushing for that.  (I really really
want to be able to say "here, this is opencog actually doing something
useful", and talking about perception would be that.)

But if you want to do, -- I dunno -- spatial reasoning, well, wow, that
would be a completely different thing, that would be pure AI research, as
far as I'm concerned ... but also more-or-less unrelated to opencog... I'm
not sure what advantage you'd get from using the atomspace, or other parts
of opencog, as opposed to starting with a blank slate.

> Even being part of Slack,

I keep asking for Matrix. At least it's open source. At least one can get
access.  https://matrix.org/blog/index

part of the challenge is trying to get people to communicate about the
> related efforts.

Opencog mailing list, IRC and slack have been a ghost-town for years. Well,
forever. I don't know why.  I don't have the personality to go around and
poll everyone about what they are doing.

As I understand it, Misgana is still working on it and has something
> functional.

!?  Misgana, are you working on something? What? Were?  I rejected your
(Misgana's) last pull request, because it was a re-invention of the code
you had written earlier... and your earlier code was already merged (and
actually, it worked better)

I'm not sure how close that version is to your conceptual design, but I
> want to avoid writing YASTS (Yet Another Space Time Server) or duplicating
> work already done.

I think the wiki page spells out everything that has and has not been done.

> Once I'm more sure about my priorities I'll have a better idea if I can
> dedicate time to building/improving the SpaceTime server as you see it.

Well, that would be cool.  I think that what I wrote in the wiki page
consists of bite-size, achievable steps that would be a good warmup for
getting back into opencog.  Where 'bite-size" is a relative concept.

-- Linas

--
cassette tapes - analog TV - film cameras - you

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CAHrUA35kfYRVi9O%3DHt25WQvG5XirWgPw%3Dgm%3DdoFTOO%3DOJzvR6Q%40mail.gmail.com.