Pursuant to a recent question from Jim Rutt, I thought it might be
interesting to see if its possible to layer the atomspace on top of IPFS.
Rather than speculate, I thought I'd try to do it.   It's here:

https://github.com/linas/atomspace-ipfs

So far you can only store the AtomSpace to IPFS; you cannot yet load from
IPFS.  I've published a demo, which you can find at
/ipfs/QmT9tZttJ4gVZQwVFHWTmJYqYGAAiKEcvW9k98T5syYeYU

Unfortunately, you need to find a data explorer to view it, and I haven't
found any good public websites for this, yet.  You'd need the built-in
http://localhost:5001/ browser to see it clearly.

Issues and challenges:
* Supporting Values will be difficult and confusing. I have no good ideas
for this yet.
* Likewise, I don't yet know how to search the incoming set.
* I'm concerned that it's slow. I think we'll be lucky to pump a few
hundred atoms/second through it. But I  don't really know.
* I'm using IPNS for mutability, and IPNS has ... well-known issues.

But .. what works does work. So that's encouraging. I invite everyone to
work on it.  I don't particularly want to be a long-term maintainers on
this.

-- Linas

--
cassette tapes - analog TV - film cameras - you