Hi Ron,
This is a known problem for these versions.  The old Makefile_$(ARCH)'s
are carryovers from the product days and do not necessarily work in the
new build environment.  This was one of my "must fix" intentions before
4.1.0.  So this is now fixed in cvs for linux (at least) but is not
verified for many platforms.  The new dx configure creates a
lib_$(ARCH)/arch.mak which contains the architecture dependencies for
post-install makes (a user's loadables, callmodule, etc.) .  dxsamples
configure customizes a callmodule/callmodule_make file (hence you will
make -f callmodule_make) for building Simple.  For the time being the
Makefile_$(ARCH)'s are retained lest the new structure not work on a
particular architecture.  Any testing and fixes you might do would be
appreciated.
Regards,
Pete