I've found similar problems with some Linux versions, most recently with the
new RPMS (build date Feb 18 2000 10:00:07 AM PST).  Example:  running sample
pgm. AlternateVisualizations.net usually executes only once.  Clicking Execute
again, or changing the type (contours, bands, grayscale...) and re-executing
dumps core with a seg. fault.

Trying Alan's suggestion below seems to fix the problem.  Note that changing
the filenames back to (in this case) "cloudwater" or "temperature" instead of
"filename.dx" crashes -- therefore it doesn't just appear to be a problem in
the format of the visual program.

A further complication:  this happens **ONLY** with the RPM version and
possibly (can't keep track) with the .tar.gz binaries.  My home built (CVS
1/28) seems to work OK as does (I think) my build of 4.0.6.  The behavior is
the same on my two systems,  one a Pentium 166/ 64 meg./ 2 meg video (pretty
minimal) the other a PII400/128/8.  Both are RH6.1, LessTif 89.9, Mesa 3.1-3.

I did not separately download the hdf/cdf library stuff so they are probably
not in my builds (unless they're now part of the CVS source)

Hope this helps localize the problem further.

Best regards,

Peter (old fashioned organic synthetic chemist ...)