I presume you mean the module, not dxexec.  Yes, I tried a few things
for exporting, all to no avail: "-bexpall", "-bexpfull", an export
file (-bE:file_name) with only "DXEntry" and the module name,
"m_ImportHDF5Field", and finally I made libtool generate an export
file for me.

Actually, I meant the dxexec. With AIX < 5, the -brtl option was not available so you had to use -bE when compiling the dxexec not the module.

Now, I found something in the IBM "AIX Linking and Loading Mechanisms"
publication.  There is this ominous paragraph:

"On a final note, in the same way that a C++-aware tool must be used
to build loadable modules contaning C++ code, it is required that any
application that will take adavantage of C++-based modules should be
built with the C++ compiler.  Thus, final program construction should
be accomplished with either the xlC or xlC_r command, depending upon
whether thread support is necessary."

Bottomline: if you work on AIX and want to use a C++ loadable module
in OpenDX, then dxexec should be linked with a C++ command.

To test the above idea, I built dxexec with xlC_r.  Unfortunately, I
must have done sth wrong, because it crashed before it entered "main".

The dxexec is not thread safe, so I would suggest just trying to link it with xlC not xlC_r. I think you're on the right track and some combination with the c++ compiler is going to solve your problem. I remember when first debugging loadable modules, it was almost impossible to find the problems because debuggers do you almost no good. You may check out the forums for VisualAge and see if anybody there could help you can get links to them at <http://www-3.ibm.com/software/awdtools/vacpp/support/>.

Have you heard of anyone else who works on C++ loadable modules for
AIX 5?

I don't even know anybody else using AIX to run OpenDX outside of IBM now. That's why we're not producing binaries for download.

David L. Thompson                   Visualization and Imagery Solutions, Inc.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]    5515 Skyway Drive, Missoula, MT 59804
                                    Phone : (406)756-7472