On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 05:50, Thomas Clark wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to add a big 'RIGHT-ON' to Christopher's contribution!
>
> >From the operations viewpoint cost is a major factor and when significant
> precludes
> participation by parties and organizations that should be involved. Also,
> the healthcare
> industry cannot be described as a homogeneous group of individuals working
> for the
> common good, and perhaps the Patient's health.
>
> What is noticeable is that different groups/disciplines rarely communicate
> effectively
> and are often at odds over even small matters with 'turf control' a common
> factor.
>
> I recently attempted to get a handle on how county operations handle
> everything from
> budgets to HIPAA. Unfortunately even volunteers have a difficult time being
> accepted
> and integrated. What is noticeable is that they jealously guard their
> current processes,
> procedures and suppliers to the extent that modifications, upgrades and new
> methods
> and technologies are rejected. My suspicion is that they have learned this
> behavior
> simply because budget constraints and consecutive budget cuts have placed
> them in a
> primarily survival mode.
>
> Administrators are less friendly and politicians are notable for their lack
> of commitment.
>
> The healthcare system is already 'locked' in a mode where even small
> sections are
> unable to modify and/or improve current operations. An expanding population
> will
> render this state of affairs defunct.
>
> My characterization of the healthcare industry is a group of
> not-necessarily-connected
> small universes within which specialties withdraw into semi-permeable
> spheres in an
> attempt to create another small universe. Imposing order in a
> cost-efficient/effective
> manor is likely to be rejected soon or very soon after introduction, i.e.,
> failure is a
> sure bet.
>
> Occasionally bright stars appear but too often are teaching/research
> personnel and
> organizations. En masse the deficiency in Patient-centric care is having
> major impacts
> on public sentiment which in turn has a dark side. Patient-centered
> healthcare is the
> main target.

That might be an accurate description of the US healthcare system, but
thankfully the US system is restricted (more or less) to the US, despite
attempts to export it and despite attempts by misguided politicians
elsewhere to copy it.

For example, in the UK the NHS provides an rather more unifying funding
and governance body for the majority of healthcare activity. Sure, the
NHS itself is a series of fifedoms and city-states, but there is still a
sense that it is one organisation, and influence on the fifedoms via
purse strings is strong. A similar situation for secondary and tertiary
care obtains here in Australia, and even primary care is notonally
covered by universal health insurance.

Thus, although dreams of regional or national EHRs seem far-fetched in
the US, they are achievable elsewhere, I think, and perhaps within a
decade.

Tim C

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B  EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0