Tim,
RE: "That might be an accurate description of the US healthcare system,
but thankfully the US system is restricted (more or less) to the US,
despite attempts to export it and despite attempts by misguided
politicians elsewhere to copy it....(snip)... Thus, although dreams of
regional or national EHRs seem far-fetched in the US, they are
achievable elsewhere, I think, and perhaps within a decade."

I share your concerns about the US healthcare model, which differs
mainly in the area of payment.  Allowing 6000 insurance companies to
become so firmly wedged between patients and providers was NOT a good
idea.  The only possible benefit to patients and the common good is
risk-mitigation... something that the US govt. is in a MUCH better
position to do fairly, and something that commercial health plans have
not really given us anyway.  In fact "risk mitigation by my rules" being
obviously better than shouldering the full risk, has become the chief
subscriber-retention strategy for many health plans.  Some people even
choose to remain in jobs and careers they despise, in order to have SOME
health coverage.

But it took us 40+ years to get into this jam in the US and we cannot
expect to back out of it overnight.  If there is anything inherently
"unfair" about the US situation (besides the government failing to
accept its role of chief risk-mitigator) it is the lack of
representation of provider needs in the general area of "information
management" and standards development.  I believe that we could live
with the US payer-model if our govt. found a way to even out the $-risk
of health problems for all patients... assure that all Americans had
access to a reasonable level of care... and funded a mechanism for
discovering and publishing provider requirements in the form of at least
a national, if not global standard.

-Chris

Christopher J. Feahr, O.D.
Optiserv Consulting (Vision Industry)