Thank you... this is becoming clearer from the clinical/business-process
perspective.  I still have this lingering concern about the inherent
freedom and flexibility afforded by archetypes being somewhat in
conflict with the need for interoperability.  Let me see if I understand
by reflecting a specific example of a physician ordering a pair of Rx
spectacles from a lab:

The "ontology" (which seems roughly synonymous with "data dictionary"
and "standard terminology" a la SNOMED) would be a listing of all the
"atomic" terms unique to specification of an Rx lens, along with
industry-standard, unique definitions:

SpherePower: "The diopteric power of the blah, blah, blah..."
MinusCylinderPower: "The algebraic difference blah, blah, blah..."
CylinderAxis: "The angle represented by the blah, blah, blah..."
etc., fully specifying the data types, ranges of acceptable values,
units of measurement, and somehow stipulating that only "quarter" and
"eighth" diopter values are used.  E.g., "-3.25" and "-3.37" are
acceptable, but "-3.90" is not an acceptable value for the unit,
"diopters".  Cylinder axis is express in whole degrees with legal values
from "1" to "179", etc..

Then we could define an Archetype called
"BasicLensFormula-MinusCylinderNotation", which is a combination of
SpherePower, MinusCylinderPower, and CylinderAxis, more or less "strung
together".  The Order specification message to the lab would require,
amongst other things, the "BasicLensFormula-MinusCylinderNotation" for
the right lens and the "BasicLensFormula-MinusCylinderNotation" for the
left.  Is this understanding correct so far?

If I am using these terms and concepts correctly, then it seems to me
that the most critical objects for doctors and other users to agree on
INITIALLY and memorialize as a "standard"... across the region that
wishes to experience "interoperability"... would be the basic
ontology... correct??

If the ontology is the listing of "atoms", then Archetypes would appear
to be the "molecules"... and also something that would be helpful to
attempt to standardize across the "interoperability region/domain".  But
due to the inherent "anything goes" aspect of defining Archetypes, and
the flexibility in system design that accompanies it, we might have a
harder time getting users to agree on standard Archetypes.  If 80% of
the most common "molecular" concepts, however, could be agreed to at the
SDO level, then that would seem to be in everyone's interest.

I will assume that I'm still "on the right track" and take my question
to one more level.  Would it make sense, then, for the SDO to continue
accepting Archetype definitions that are useful to some in the domain...
even though they might be extensions or conglomerations of other
Archetypes?  ... and for the SDO to maintain all of them together in its
library of "standard archetypes for the vision industry"?  If Standard
Archetype X was made from unique, atomic concepts A, B, C, and D... and
a user only required A, B, and C... would he still use an Archetype X in
his message schema, simply ignoring the value of D?  Or would he
register the combination of A, B, and C as a new Standard Archetype Y?

(That's enough for one email!)
Thanks.

Christopher J. Feahr, O.D.
Optiserv Consulting (Vision Industry)