Hi Karsten,

Comments in text.

-Thomas Clark

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karsten Hilbert" <karsten.hilb...@gmx.net>
To: <openehr-technical at openehr.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: openEHR security; Directed to Thomas Beale

> Thomas,
>
> maybe I'm too dense but I cannot appreciate the complexity of
> the issue as you hash it out.
>
> To me this is simply:
>
> 3.5.2003 10:35 am first seen patient
>  medium pain frontal skull after contusion in traffic accident
> 5 mins ago, no neurological abnormalities right now, GCS 15

Patient prior history missing. Potential head injury should indicate
query-response might be a problem. Record might show allergies to
drugs and injuries to other areas that could complicate such
procedures as X-Ray, e.g., steel plate in neck which may
represent collateral damage that is not obvious.

Relying 100% on visual inspections and observations may not cut
it, especially where the Patient has an easily accessible EHR, etc.,
such as the hospital you are standing in. Good legal material, i.e.,
the Patient has a medical card for the hospital and has had prior
surgery at this hospital. Why not punch up the card number on the
computer terminal in the ER?

> 3.5.2003 10:45 check up
>  pain on pressure to 2nd cervical vertebra, dizziness,
>  nausea, claims fuzzy vision, left pupil dilated responding to
>  light slower than right, now severe pain frontal/retroorbital/
>  right temporal region. GCS 12.

Narratives are supplements to tracking which should be integrated
into the record. Doesn't really help if the record shows that the Patient
entered the hospital but not what transpired. Big RED button.

> Clearly, there's some new and some updated information in this
> narrative. This is the point where I immediately ship the
> patient to the next CT/MRI scanning facility with on-duty
> neuro/neuro-surgery.

Narratives are great tools are are used frequently today, and are often
interpreted  in the legal environment. They can include charts and images
to support a diagnosis and treatment. They can also be very lengthy and
difficult to accomodate in records systems, e.g., a digital representation
of a
CAT scan requires large numbers of storage with high resolution scans
requiring lots of bytes (e.g., several gigabytes).  A lot of these images
are
trashed (could be redundant or just bad).

An append-only text field might be great for a User Interface supporting
text input but handling this over a course of treatment by multiple
Practitioners
gets a little tough. Suppose four Practitioners decide to update their
narrative simultaneously and they all 'finish' simultaneously. What happens
the record?

Single-user, semaphore-based UI applications are just not good enough. If
someone forgets to unlock the record and leave for the evening I hope you
have their cell number.

Inside the EMR there needs to be practitioner identification, events,
pointers
to associated data, etc so that something later backtracking and
reconstruction
are possible. Everything of significance is entered, even spelling errors.

> All this requires is an append-only text field. Of course, it
> can be handled much more fanciful inside the EMR, trying to
> link items, graphing trends on scales, etc. etc. The basics,
> however, can be handled by free text fields. And even they do
> not just emulate the paper based record but offer one clear
> advantage: they are readable by me even if someone else wrote
> down the first assessment.
>
> > Narratives can be hard to handle in record-based systems as can
scannable
> > entries, e.g., charts and images.
> But they are absolutely necessary.
>
> Karsten

The User Interface is a 'connected' issue; it generates input for the
record. Medical
devices generate input. Both will get formatted, possibly encrypted,
compressed
and integrated or linked to the record.

Narrative in their 'final' form are of interest to the record designer and
they will
likely not look like anything you though you entered, e.g., encrypted,
compressed,
pdf file that becomes a history file (unchangeable).

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org