Hi Tim,

Never trusting the record is in itself justification for OpenEHR and
interfacing it
with all other EHR/EPR/EMR systems. I do not 100% trust the contents of the
records supported by the EHR/EPR/EMR systems. The basic rationale is that
the information is generated by related devices and human beings, e.g., the
process of communication between humans is not without difficulties.

What these record systems do is generate and maintain accurate and precise
records of what someone has reduced to an electronic format. One could
employ
software applications that would attempt to make sense out of it and perhaps
provide a more "relevant"/"germane" interpretation, but the record remains.

I can understand that Practitioners suspect the record. Mine involves
multiple
Practitioners in multiple Healthcare organizations (I have moved some). They
do not speak the same 'language', which is probably why the Patients are
subjected to multiple identical tests for no obvious reason.

The record systems will not improve the "correctness" of the content.
A bad diagnosis remains just that. The record system will make it available
quickly and reliably. Another software application may put together some of
the
pieces so that an improvement is possible, but then a Practitioner would
probably have to design that as well.

Not trusting the content of the records is a Practitioner problem.
Electronic
records are likely to remove most of the problem areas in existing systems,
e.g., the copy machine ate that page.

A group of monkeys locked in a room with a number of computers taking
record-based inputs may create actual records but neither of us could really
understand or use the data. This comes from the same scenario applied to
music. Bach would have no competition.

I have one hope for the Patient's sake; the Practitioners should at least
rotate
the questions.

-Thomas Clark