Gerard

--  <private> --
Gerard Freriks, arts
Huigsloterdijk 378
2158 LR Buitenkaag
The Netherlands

+31 252 544896
+31 654 792800
On 04 Dec 2004, at 12:54, Thomas Beale wrote:

> Gerard Freriks wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Am I correct to conclude and propose that:
>>
>> - *episode:* situation considered to occupy a time interval
>>
>> - there are at least 4 context's in which the term 'Episode' is
>> defined:
>> disease related (point of view of the patient),
>
> this kind of episode often has vague boundaries, and I think we have
> to rely on following LINKs in the EHR to find all its pieces. If I get
> bronchitis that seems to get better before it gets worse every two
> weeks, is this a single episode or many? I don't think it matters -
> what matters is being able to find all the information items relating
> to a given problem.

And relating data in a specific context for a specific purpose that
some times is defined in a group and sometimes defined by one actor for
his own purpose.
Episodes likes these are more general and NOT depended on business
rules.

>> treatment related (point of view healthcare provider),
>> adminstrative contact related (point of view of healthcare
>> institution),
>
> these two are I think possible to identify as being delimited by known
> points in time, as long as the provider has a clear rule for when they
> are providing health care, versus when they are not. They might be
> providing care in parallel with other providers of course - e.g. Dipak
> had a good example of patients on weekend leave from a mental health
> institution, who become the responsibility of the local GP for the
> weekend, but don't really stop being the responsibility of the
> institution.

episodes like these are depended on (local) business rules that vary
from place to place.

>> insurance related (point of view payer)
>
> How re-imbursing institutions want to define episodes is something I
> don't know much about, but Tim Churches or someone may have something
> to add here. How does that work in NL, Gerard? I know there is a
> mixture of government and private payors.

I don't know them either.
But think of mergers between firms and new insurance products and
updates within one firm.

>> - sometimes the period is real and enumerated (/dd-mm-yy, ISO 8601 :
>> 1988Data elements and interchange formats - Information interchange -
>> Representation of dates and times/),
>> sometimes indefinite (/one week ago, some weeks ago, ongoing, during,
>> before, etc, as defined in CEN/TC251 EN1238 Time standard for health
>> care specific problems/)
>
> I think such vague times can only be for clinical use (patient had an
> "episode" of bronchitis about 2 weeks go, lasting about a week). For
> billing or other computable purposes such as statistical studies, you
> have to be able to know which things are in and which are out.

I agree.