Ergin, and all

ERGIN: Thanks - there is no problem working from date of birth forward
to age group - it is when you are working back and times are fuzzy. In
family history when the DOB is not known it is even more of an issue.

The issue of FUZZY ages (and other quantities)

I believe we need a means of representing quantities in a named band -
even if the naming varies. So data can be entered as 'adolescent' and
the age entered as a range from 13-20 yrs (or some other range). In
family history 'young adult' may be a requirement (18-20 yrs). The
important thing is that a textural representation of the data, plus a
range is entered.

In the future the timing phrase 'last night' might need to be computable
- so the time range of 2200 - 0600 might be entered for computational
purposes.

Another example of when the text is important is 'three times each day'
and 'every eight hours'. Using iCal times it is possible to
differentiate these but once actual times for taking the medication have
been agreed then, if the timing is exactly 8 hours apart the
differentiation is lost.

Three times a day may be represented in iCal as:

FREQ=DAILY;OCCURRENCES=3

Eight hourly is

FREQ=HOURLY;INTERVAL=8

But, in a setting where administration is controlled both of these
timing rules may be transformed into:

0600;1400;2200

Recommendation:
We consider a formal way of representing verbal statements of quantity
and the quantity or quantity range they represent.

The issue of Age for Paediatrics

On the paediatric front - it is the age from conception that the
clinicians work from in decision support and protocols - as the children
are often born very early and their DoB does not provide the details
necessary. For instance, the dose of a drug will be represented as mg/kg
in age ranges post conception in a neonatal intensive care unit.

I agree with a number of statements that we need to record 2 date/times

The first is the date of birth - just as we have always done.

The second is to record a date time that allows us to estimate the date
of development since conception.

As LMP is not an appropriate measure (it is not reliable), the two
possibilities are:

1. Approximate date of conception
2. Expected Date of birth (based on 38 week gestation)

You can then calculate one from the other quite safely. One could allow
either - but I would suggest for interoperability issues we should have
one modelled concisely in the demographic model.

The advantage of the first is that it gives an anchor date for the sort
of calculations without any computation. The advantage of the second
(EDB) is that this data is usually in the mothers record (EDD) and also
that giving a date of conception can cause great anguish to people (as
they were not together at that time e.g. the  partner who returns from
military service and the approximate date of conception is calculated as
7 days before he returned).

What I am sure of is that we need (at least) one of these modelled as
part of the openEHR demographic model.

Cheers, Sam

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org