Grahame Grieve wrote:

>> <---- snip ----->
>>
>> So it creates a list of II, in which the ID's are stored.
>> At this moment I have following ID's:
>> - Local GP-Information System ID, which is in most GP-Systems the
>> primary key of the patient-table.
>> - Insurance number
>>
>> The root value is not known to the GP-System, and not known to me, al
>> though this is the only mandatory property, I cannot use it
>

> hi
>
> Because of the way that II works, you do need to get
> a root OID. You can get an OID for the GP systems by getting
> a container OID from somewhere - HL7 can give you one, but there
> should be other providers for your country. Once you have a
> container OID, you can extend the OID with a number you assign
> for each GP system.
>
> i.e. you get 0.1.2.3.4.5 from nictiz. you assign first gp system 1
>    so it's OID is 0.1.2.3.4.5.1
>
> So this OID is just a configuration item. The you can append your
> localId to the root or treat it as an extension. Theoretically it
> should be appended to the root, but I think that treating it as an
> extension is more practical.

Thanks Graham, it is clear what you mean.
I must tell you, I work directly on the market, I have customers, who
want to get the Insurance-number from a patient in a GP-system, and
process it automated.

(I already have difficulties with explaining why they have to use a
entityname and find in the connected entityNameParts which one the
Lastname is.
Why don't you make a property Lastname, they ask me, and then I explain,
that is the way the standard works, and keep telling them the benefits
of using a standard.)

Now I must tell them they have to recognize the InsuranceNumbere from
the OID which points to InsuranceCompany, somewhere??.

There has to be a service on the Internet where one can translate OID's
to friendly names, something like DNS for IP. Or else, this system
cannot work

Thanks again, I now know what it is and how to handle it in the future,
for now (meantime), I make something up to keep me going.

> The assigningAuthorityName is just for convenience, so you put
> a text description of how assigned the ID (the OID before
> appending the localID)
>
> You can assign the insurance company an OID, or maybe they
> already have one, you could ask them. (at this point, I have to say,
> I don't think that this OID system is working in practice - it's
> very unlikely that they'll know, even if they have one, since likely
> they already are assigned one by someone. So, I don't think that the
> OID system is working - the II semantics really need effective
> OID registries)
>

>> *My Question
>> *How can an automated Process distinguish a InsuranceNumber?
>

> You have to recognise the OID. Sometimes the context will indicate
> who's identifier it is, but even that - if it's a good indicator - often
> collapses to recognising a different OID
>
>> The II datatype needs IMHO a mood-indicator, or else a automated
>> process will never know what to do with one of the ID's.
>

> not sure what you mean here?

Was a stupid remark, I thought, just as with EntityNamePart, where one
can tell which kind of name one is reading, one could use a property to
tell which kind of ID one is reading, as an optional property. Too bad
this is not done.

Regards
Bert Verhees

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org