Op dinsdag 15 maart 2005 11:44, schreef Grahame Grieve:
> Regarding OIDs and II, I think there's a misunderstanding
> about the point of the OID part of the II
>
> The OID is computationally opaque - it's not intended to
> tell you anything about the identifier, only to make it
> unique. Any scheme based on reverse engineering the OID
> into some form of information about the II that contains
> it will founder. Even if we turned around and based it on
> DNS, it still founders.
>
> The point is that the context of the II tells you what
> kind of identifier it is.

What if the context is patientExtendedInformation?
A patient can carry many identifiers.

> OK, I lie. I see that in it's common usage, certainly in
> HL7 and apparently in CEN and openEHR - though I haven't
> checked - things have a SET<II> or equivalent, which requires
> that the II semantics themselves tell you more than simply
> the value of the identifier.
>
> So I see a mismatch between the intention of II and it's use.

I don't know what the intention was, but the use, is to present one or more
identifiers, connected to an entity. It seems to me a good use.

> The problem with information about the identifier is that it's
> rather hard to come up with a formal strategy for providing
> metainformation about the II. Take for instance, the HL7 V2 mess
> of codesets for describing the source identifier type. As a HL7 V2
> implementor, I know that it's done by site specific decisions, since
> the mess is too far out of control. And V2.6 will only make this
> worse. Rather like doing it by OID, and configuring it by hand. I
> wouldn't want to be writing a general nation-wide HL7 receiver that
> had to sort out identifiers.

I do not want to substitute OID by metainformation, but add metainformation to
II, as an extra property. A qualifier, like "insurance_number",
"social_security_number", "local_system_id", etc

> No wait, I did write such a spec for Australian usage. And we took
> considerable care to nail down the Identifier usage so that this
> situation didn't arise.
>
>  From my perspective (V2 implementor and V3 data types editor), the
> only possible solution - though I very much doubt it's feasible - is
> for there to be an LDAP based health OID repository to allow dynamic
> querying of the OID metadata. Sure, this would mean that you'd need
> a live internet connection to do the query, but if you really are
> writing a general case data mining tool with no ability to nail
> the identifiers down in your incoming data, then this is the least
> of your worries.

Even the least of all worries still is a worry, and it depends.
I am not writing a general datamining tool, but I am writing a CEN layer to
present data from local GP-systems in a standarized form. This works fine,
and third parties know where they can find their data, independent of the
underlying GP-system.
And the patient carries a few identifiers, in a Set, and I want to mark one of
the identifiers as an insurance-number. That is all.

Though, the layer I am writing can be used for datamining, and will be used as
such, but there are many more uses. I have no complaint about
market-interests.

--
Met vriendelijke groet
Bert Verhees