On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 10:31:09AM +0100, Bert Verhees wrote:

> Op donderdag 10 maart 2005 13:48, schreef Karsten Hilbert:
> > > There are  no fixed patterns  for names or  naming conventions.
> > > There are many  societies where there are no  'Family' names at
> > > all.  Some have  Tribe names  in  lieu, some  with father's  or
> > > village name  as 'names' somewhere  wedged in the  name string.
> > > Some with just  unique names with nothing else. To  add to this
> > > confusion you would  then have to find  sub-components for nick
> > > names and aliases.
> >
> > Yes, the whole gamut :-)
> >
> > In GnuMed we deal with it like this:
>
> Where do you put initials and how do you qualify them as such so they can be
> recognized in an automated process.
We don't have dedicated initials support. Most of the time (I
know no other use) initials are the first character of the
first name(s). So we either store them as first names (if we
don't know the first name but know the initial) or we do not
store them.

I do not completely understand why you need to be able to
*process* initials ?

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346
please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org