Dear William,

My answer is:

The moment clinical concepts as defined by groups of clinicians are
proprietary it will be impossible to have any conversation.
The moment clinical concepts as defined by groups of clinicians using
archetypes it will be impossible to have any semantic
interoperability between computer systems.
Proprietary archetypes used in computer systems are the same as words
for concepts used in daily life in discussions between persons.
Since the EHR is about documenting by a healthcare provider in ones
own words what has happened, they must be able to use all concepts
and words, that express them, used in normal speech.

You refer to machine computer system interfaces and that these might
be proprietary. Yes they could and will.
But when the holy grail is about plug-and-play interoperability then
these interfaces (archetypes) must be free to use.

In my mind users must pay for the use of the machine and demand
completely open system interfaces.

Information (entered, stored, retrieved and exchanged) must be freed
from any influence by the IT industry.
Information must be owned and controlled by the users.

Information must never be expressed as code in software.
Information must never be exchanged in proprietary ways.
Without this, generic semantic interoperability between computer
systems never will be possible.

Gerard

--  <private> --
Gerard Freriks, arts